Get Help from Our California Immigration Attorneys

consultation Hotline (toll free): 888.245.9393

(Scroll to bottom for Contact Form)

Get Immigration Help.png

The mission of Unite the People’s attorneys is to make immigrating to the United States as simple and speedy as possible for non-citizens and their loved ones.

Unfortunately, many immigrants are overwhelmed by lengthy applications, intimidating interviews, and expensive fees. Many non-citizens who are perfectly qualified get rejected because of innocent mistakes on their paperwork. In some cases, government officials at the USCIS are the ones that make errors. Immigration laws and procedures are also constantly changing under President Trump, creating confusion and in some cases abuse of immigrants and asylum seekers.

That’s why having an experienced attorney maximizes your chances of getting your immigration applications right on the first try. Let Unite the People and our attorneys help with your immigration needs:

Visa Services

Our California immigration attorneys help you apply for a visa, which is the first step to entering the U.S.

There are two kinds of visas:

  • Immigrant Visas, for non-citizens wishing to live in the U.S. permanently, and

  • Non-immigrant Visas, for non-citizens wishing to reside in the U.S. for a specified period of time (or while waiting for an immigrant visa)

Immigrant Visas

For immigrant visas, you will need a sponsor. There are two types of sponsors:

  1. Family members who are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents, and

  2. Employers based in the U.S.

For example, a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident may sponsor their spouse to come to America on a spousal visa. We are LGBTQ friendly and work on both same-sex and opposite-sex marriage based visas.

Employment-based immigrant visas are divided into five categories:

  • EB-1 visa: For renowned researchers or professors.

  • EB-2 visa: For professionals with advanced degrees (or their equivalent) and individuals desired by the US for their extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, or business that will greatly benefit the US economy, cultural or educational interests, or welfare.

  • EB-3 visa: For skilled workers, professionals, and some unskilled workers.

  • EB-4 visa: For religious workers, broadcasters, military members, Afghan and Iraqi translators, and others.

  • EB-5 visa: For entrepreneurs and investors.

Family non-immigrant visas:

There are also several categories of non-immigrant visas. Two common ones are family-based visas and education-based visas. Spousal visas sometimes take a long time to process. While the application is pending, US citizens may be able to sponsor their non-citizen spouses on a K-3 visa. And the non-citizen's children may be able to come to the US as well on a K-4 visa.

There are visas for uniting engaged couples as well as spouses. US citizens may sponsor their non-citizen fiancé(e)s to come to the U.S. on a K-1 visa. The children may also be able to come to the U.S. on K-2 visa.

School non-immigrant visas:

Those seeking to attend an academic institution in the US may be able to travel on an F-1 visa. And those seeking to attend a vocational school in the US may be able to travel on an M-1 visa.

Employment non-immigrant visas:

US employers may sponsor foreign employees with specialized occupations on an H-1B visa. US employers may also sponsor foreign laborers for temporary, non-agricultural work through H-2B visas. Executives and people with specialized knowledge may work in the U.S. on an L-1 visa (their families can come on L-2 visas). And people with "extraordinary abilities" may be able to get an O-1 visa.

I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker:

UTP will file on behalf of nonimmigrant workers to come to the United States temporarily to perform services or labor, or to receive training, as an H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, L-1, O-1, O-2, P-1, P-1S, P-2, P-2S, P-3, P-3S, Q-1 or R-1 nonimmigrant worker. Petitioners may also use this form to request an extension of stay in or change of status to E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B1 or TN, or one of the above classifications for a foreign national. We most often compete I-129s for traveling artists.


Victims of domestic violence, rape, or other abuse may be able to get temporary legal status with U-Visas.

Green Card Services

Once you are living in the US on an immigrant visa, you eventually may be able to adjust status to legal permanent resident. (“Legal permanent resident” is another term for green card holder.)

Citizenship Services

Green card holders can usually naturalize to become US citizens after being a legal permanent resident for five (5) years. The waiting period is lowered to three (3) years for green card holding-spouses of US citizens. The naturalization process requires that the person take a citizenship test and an oath.

Emergency Immigration Services

There are various paths to immigration for people who face danger in their country of origin. Persecuted individuals may be able to secure refugee status. And those who made it to the US but cannot go back home for fear of persecution may apply for asylum status or temporary protected status.

Criminal Defense of Immigrants/Crimmigration Law

Immigrants who are convicted of deportation offenses face removal from the US. Even a drunk driving conviction can result in deportation. So it is extremely important for immigrants who are arrested in the US to seek legal counsel as quickly as possible. Our criminal defense attorneys may be able to get the charges dismissed or reduced to a non-deportable offense.

Post-Conviction Relief

Convictions are very difficult to overturn. But it may still be possible for non-citizens to avoid removal even if they get convicted of a deportable offense.

For example, we may be able to file a “Padilla motion” (under Penal Code 1018 PC, you can withdraw a guilty plea) requesting the court to withdraw the immigrant's guilty plea. If the court agrees, the immigrant will have a chance to take a better plea with no deportation consequences.

Halting Removal

Our immigration attorneys represent non-citizens in cancellation of removal proceedings in California. In some cases, non-citizens may opt for voluntary departure from the US instead of risking deportation.

Contact Us

Our immigration attorneys help our clients through every stage of the immigration process. Call our Toll Free number 888.245.9393 or use the form below to schedule an initial consultation:

Name *
Phone *

Our attorneys are fluent in Chinese, Spanish, and English.